Homes contents insurance

Download article Print article
Choose from the index:
Insuring your home contents

This home contents insurance has been arranged for tenants and leaseholders of Adactus Housing Association, Beech Housing Association and Chorley Community Housing by Aon through Aviva.

When you take out home contents insurance, your household goods and contents will be insured whilst in your home against events such as fire, theft or flooding. The insurance also covers theft of your keys and the contents in your freezer.  There is also cover for personal liability. There is no cover for wear and tear or mechanical breakdown.

Accidental damage and cover away from your home are not covered as standard other than as detailed in this insurance product information document. However, a full accidental damage option is available at an additional cost (see cost of insurance table and insurance product information document).

New-for-Old insurance

All your home contents are covered by the policy on a ‘new for old’ basis, with the exception of linen and clothing which will be replaced at their current cost, less an amount for wear and tear. When you are working out the cost of your insurance, you will need to work out how much it will cost to replace the full contents.

If you under value your contents this will mean that if you claim you will not get the full value of your claim.

Special low, minimum sums insured

The lowest amount that can be insured is:

  • £6,000 if you are over the age of 60.
  • £9,000 for all other people.


What you are covered for

Please refer to the enclosed insurance product information document which details the main circumstances that are covered (e.g. fire, theft, water damage).

A specimen policy booklet is available on request.

How to apply

There are 2 options available to take out cover;

Option 1 – Complete the application form enclosed with this pack.
Please make sure you answer all the questions on the application and sign the declaration. Please also complete the payments page to show your preferred payment method. If you have any queries about filling in your form, please telephone Wessex Administration Services on telephone number 01962 844 454. Once you have completed the form, please post it to:

Wessex Administration Services, Jewry House, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8RZ.

Option 2 – By Telephone
Cover can be arranged by telephone by calling the Wessex Administration quote line on telephone number 01962 892 086. If you choose this method, please ensure you read the policy summary and the important information contained in this pack and query anything you do not understand before proceeding with this insurance.

Paying the premium

You will need to decide how you would like to pay the premium.  The options available are:-

  • Fortnightly or monthly by cash, using a swipe card at any Post Office or Payzone outlet.
  • Monthly by Direct Debit.
  • Annually by Cheque, Postal Order or Debit/Credit Card.

To make sure that you are always covered you must keep up to date with your payments.

Wessex Administration can cancel the policy if your premium payments fall into arrears.

You may not be able to make a claim unless your payments are up to date.

Start date

Insurance starts when Wessex Administration informs you that you have been accepted onto the scheme. Wessex Administration will write to you with details of your insurance payments and the date when you should start paying. You will be notified in writing if for any reason, you have not been accepted into the scheme.

Additional information

If during the period of your insurance cover your home is likely to be unoccupied (e.g. if you are in hospital, extended holiday) for more than 60 consecutive days you will have to advise Wessex Administration.

Remember, it is your responsibility to ensure that the sum insured is sufficient to cover all your household items and personal effects.

We urge all tenants and leaseholders to take out household insurance, either through our special scheme or by making your own arrangements.

You can download the leaflet / application form from our website.

Download article Print article