Home improvements

Download article Print article
Choose from the index:
Making improvements to your home

If you are an assured tenant, you have the right to make improvements to your home. Assured Shorthold and starter tenants do not have this right.

If you wish to make any improvements to your home you need to apply to us in writing for permission. (Please note that we will not normally be able to give permission for satellite dishes to be erected on blocks of flats).

In most cases we can make a quick decision, but, you must not start work or buy any materials until you have received written permission from us. In certain cases, we may need to visit your home and assess the planned work.  In some cases you may also need to get planning permission or building regulation approval. We will advise you if this is needed when we see your proposals.

Right to Improve

The repairs covered by right to improve are:

  • Bath or shower
  • Wash hand basin
  • Toilet
  • Kitchen sink
  • Storage cupboards in bathroom or kitchen
  • Work surfaces for food preparation
  • Space or water heating
  • Thermostatic radiator valves
  • Insulation of pipes, water pipes or cylinder
  • Loft insulation
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Draught proofing of external doors or windows
  • Double glazing or other external window replacement or secondary glazing
  • Rewiring or the provision of power and lighting or other electrical fittings (including smoke detectors)
  • Any object which improves the security of the dwelling-house, but excluding burglar alarms

Details of the contractor carrying out the proposed work is to be submitted to our Asset Management Department for approval. If approval is given then any necessary paperwork/ documentation must be submitted on completion of the works.

When your tenancy ends you may have the right to claim compensation for improvements you have made to your home with our permission and satisfaction (from the above list). You will have to keep all receipts, details of work and a note of the date when you did it.

Maintaining Improvements

You are responsible for maintaining any improvements that you have carried out or that have been done on your behalf. If you moved into your property through a Mutual Exchange scheme then you are responsible for the repair and maintenance of any improvements made by the previous tenant.

If any repairs are required as a result of damage caused by you, your family or visitors to your home you will be charged for these repairs.

Compensation for Improvements

The amount of compensation reduces by a set formula over time and will take the following into account:

  • The expected lifespan of the components and materials used
  • Depreciation of the improvements since the work was carried out
  • Whether or not you received a grant to help you carry out the work

If you owe monies to us, the amount you owe will be deducted from your compensation. The maximum amount of compensation payable is £3000. Compensation will not be paid for amounts under £50.

Claiming Compensation

You must claim any compensation for improvements in writing between 28 days before the actual end of tenancy or up to 14 days after the tenancy has ended. You must include all necessary documentation regarding the cost of the improvement and the consent letter from us giving you permission to go ahead with the work.


Download article Print article
Related Articles